Arjen lives in the countryside of The Netherlands with his wife and four children. As a ten year old child, he started copying paintings of the Old Masters. He studied the techniques of for instance Rembrandt, Jacob van Ruysdael, and was fascinated by the works of Picasso, Dali and Condo. As a gifted violin player Arjen studied at the Conservatory of Utrecht. After his Master degree he was asked to become a professor at the same institute. Simultaneously Arjen kept painting and sketching while searching for his own unique style.
Arjen tries to work at the intersection of the simple and the absurd. This results in expressive and often humorous figures. The figures have a real appearance, but are of course artificial. Arjen is intrigued by the combination of facial expression, body language and simple stylized and geometrical forms in which he tries to get a monumental effect.
@ courtesy of the artist
- misa.art POP-UP by König Galerie at the Gallery Weekend Berlin, Germany (2022)
- Transmutations - group show at Marian Cramer Projects, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2022)
- Winter Contemporary at Eternity Gallery, Miami, USA (2021)
- Satellite of love - group exhibition, together with Oli Epp, at Richard Heller Gallery, Santa Monica, USA (2021)
- Between visions - group show at Août Gallery, Beirut, Libanon (2021)
- Selection for friends of the artist Volume 14 - curated by Adele Smejkal and Dynamisk for The Artistellar, London, UK (2021)
- Universes 4 - group exhibition curated by Sasha Bogojev for Galerie Droste, Paris, France - coinciding with the FIAC International Contemporary Art Fair (2021)
- at misa.art of König Galerie, Berlin, Germany (2021)
- Enter Art Fair 2022, Copenhagen, Denmark (with Galerie Droste)
- CAN ART FAIR 2022, Ibiza, Spain (curated by Sasha Bogojev for Marian Cramer Projects)
- KIAF SEOUL 2022 to run alongside FRIEZE SEOUL, South Korea (with Galerie Droste)
- Expo Chicago 2022, USA (with Richard Heller Gallery)
- Untitled, Art Miami Beach 2021, USA (with Richard Heller Gallery)